We wrote about how you can install Android 4.0.4 XXLQ5 on Galaxy S2 yesterday as soon as it was leaked, but we asked for you to wait a bit for how to root build XXLQ5. Well, the wait is over. Now you can root Android 4.0.4 on Galaxy S2.
Rooting your phone has its own advantages. You will be able to install root apps and do other tweaks with your phone which would otherwise be not possible without full system access on your phone. Let’s continue with the tutorial.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S I to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S2 USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Data can also be backed up using Samsung KIES for their devices, but if you backup data manually, you get more options what top choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
4. Make sure you are on the Android 4.0.4 XXLQ5 firmware. How? Go to Settings > About phone to check.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and root Android 4.0.4 XXLQ5 on Galaxy S2 I9100.
How to Root Android 4.0.4 XXLQ5 on Galaxy S2 I9100
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy S II to Android 4.0.4 XXLQ5 ICS. If you are used to installing official updates through ODIN on Samsung Galaxy devices or rooting firmwares, then this should not be any different for you. Please read every line carefully.
- This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 on Android 4.0.4 XXLQ5. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- This tutorial will NOT wipe any of your data while rooting, but it is always a good precaution to backup data.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download CF-Root-SGS2_XX_XEN_LQ5-v5.4-CWM5.rar for Galaxy S2 to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 – Download ODIN v1.85 (if needed) which will help you to install the root package for Android 4.0.4 on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
Step 3 – Switch off your phone. Now go to Download Mode on your phone. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode.
Step 4 – Make sure you have your Galaxy S2 USB drivers installed on your computer.
Step 5 – Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.
Step 6 – If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7 – Click on ‘PDA’ and select the “CF-Root-SGS2_XX_XEN_LQ5-v5.4-CWM5.tar” file from the extracted ZIP file in Step 1.
NOTE: In ODIN, do not touch any other options anywhere. Leave everything as it is.
Step 8 – Now click on the Start button in ODIN. Installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 – After the installation is completed, your phone will restart. After you see the home screen, unplug your phone from the computer.
That’s it. Your Samsung Galaxy S II is now rooted on Android 4.0.4 build XXLQ5 software update. Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.
to make the root of the camera phone stops working as it should.
start the application when the screen goes black in him taking a picture if I take more but the screen remains black as if off. The same goes for videos. I hope to settle it soon.
i have 4.0.4 XXLQ6 , i can root my firmware using this files?
Hi I was wanting to know also (refer other post) if this root will work on the XXLQ6 version? Thanks in advance