The first working TWRP 3.1.1 custom recovery is now available for install on the LG G6 H870. This recovery isn’t officially developed by TeamWin but rather enthusiast developers. Nonetheless, it is based off of the same source code as official TWRP and comes with all of the same features. Once installed on the LG G6, you would be able to root your phone and would also be able to flash third-party packages from developers. For this guide to work, you would be required to first unlock the bootloader on LG G6. The procedure is explained in detail below along with tips and tricks. As mentioned earlier, once you have TWRP 3.1.1 running on your LG G6 H870 (check your variant here), you can use it gain root. You can now easily install TWRP Touch Recovery on LG G6 using our tutorial. Please note, you should unlock LG G6 bootloader first before proceeding.
As you continue reading, we will guide you through the process of how to update LG G6 with TWRP custom Recovery. Please note, by doing so, you are voiding the warranty of your LG G6. Make sure you read through all of the tips given below and keep them in mind before actually performing the tutorial. Also make a backup of your data before doing any sort of modification. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
LG G6 TWRP Recovery Details:
TWRP Touch Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this custom recovery on their phones. Here are a few details about TWRP:
Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.1, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the LG G6, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Root LG G6: How to Root LG G6 with SuperSU.
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on LG G6.
- Try Android O on Computer: How to Install Android O on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of LG G6 custom ROMs, click here!
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root LG G6, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
LG G6 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for LG G6 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
4. Your bootloader should be unlocked. See here: How to Unlock Bootloader of LG Phones.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now continue reading below and install TWRP Recovery on the LG G6.
How to Update LG G6 with TWRP Recovery
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install TWRP recovery on LG G6. This is a very simple tutorial and if you have been updating or installing new custom recoveries on LG phones, then this one should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This TWRP Recovery tutorial is only for unlocked LG G6. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- LG PC Suite should be installed with full working ADB/Fastboot before performing the tutorial.
- Bootloader should be unlocked.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Connect LG G6 to your PC with a USB cable.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.1.1-0-h870.img) and copy/paste it in the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory.
Step 4 – Go to Fastboot/Bootloader mode now. How? Navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
bonjour je ne suis pas capable de completer l’etape 5 quand je fais enter sa me dit: error no devices/emulators fou