In this guide, we’ll show you how to install the TWRP custom recovery on Huawei P10. TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) is our new favourite custom recovery. In the past, we used CWM more often, but as TWRP gets more support, we have moved on to this one. A custom recovery helps you install custom system patches, mods and packages that are otherwise not possible with a stock recovery. Since our next tutorial will have instructions on how to root Huawei P10, TWRP is required to do just that.
It also helps you to install custom ROMs, and make full backups of your phone that you can easily restore it later, when needed. Huawei P10 is one of the most popular Huawei phones and there are a lot of custom ROMs available for this phone. To install the custom ROMs, you need to have a custom recovery first and that is exactly what we are going to tell you below in our tutorial. Huawei P10 requires an unlocked bootloader before installing / flashing any custom packages or system mods such as this TWRP recovery.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader On Huawei P10.
- Root Huawei P10: How to Root Huawei P10 on Android Nougat with EMUI 5.1.
- TWRP for Huawei P10 Plus: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei P10 Plus.
- TWRP Backups on PC: How to Save TWRP Backups on PC.
- Install Nougat on PC: How to Try and Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
If you are planning to root your phone in the future, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Huawei P10 TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery:
TWRP Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this custom recovery on their phones. Here are a few details about TWRP:
Team Win Recovery Project, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features.
It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
Hauwei P10 will be getting a huge list of custom ROMs based on EMUI 5.1 and Android Nougat because of its popularity. The best part is, almost all of those ROMs will be installed only with a modified or patched recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
Huawei P10 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
HOW TO: Install TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery on Huawei P10
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide for how to install TWRP 3.1 custom recovery on Huawei P10. If you are used to installing custom firmware through TWRP on Huawei devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
- Make sure the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, if it isn’t you can unlock the bootloader easily by following this guide: How to Unlock Huawei P10 Bootloader.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings > About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone. [How to Enable USB Debugging]
- Go to Settings > Developer Options and enable ‘OEM Unlocking’.
- Backup all the data as installing a custom recovery might delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Connect your Huawei P10 to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.1.0-0-P10.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot / ADB package files.
Step 4 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.
Step 5 – Type in the following command and press Enter.
adb reboot bootloader
Step 6 – Wait for your phone to boot into Bootloader Mode. You can also enter Bootloader Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up + Power key.