Android M Preview 2 (build Android M MPZ79M) is now available for download. This was supposed to be released around June end as per the timeline given on the Android Developers website, but oh well, we’re glad it’s here now and you can flash the latest preview build on your Nexus 5, Nexus 6 or Nexus 9. You can find direct download links below for manually flashing the update, or you will have to wait for a few days before Google rolls out the software update via OTA (over-the-air).
This latest Android M Developer Preview 2 brings an up-to-date code base and updated APIs where you can try and test your apps. The new Nexus system images have also received updates and have been refined to offer better testing capabilities without having an actual Nexus phone. There is still no final name yet for Android M, but we hope to see a full release of this Android software update around Q3 2015.
Here is a brief changelog provided by Google about the Android M Preview 2 release:
- Android Platform Changes:
- Modifications to platform permissions including external storage, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth location, and changes to contacts/identity permissions. Device connections through the USB port are now set to charge-only mode by default. To access the device, users must explicitly grant permission.
- API Changes:
- Updated Bluetooth Stylus APIs with updated callback events. View.onContextClickListener and GestureDetector.OnContextClickListener to listen for stylus button presses and to perform secondary actions.
- Updated Media API with new callback InputDevice.hasMicrophone() method for determining if a device microphone exists.
- Fixes for developer-reported issues:
- TextInputLayout doesn’t set hint for embedded EditText.
- Camera Permission issue with Legacy Apps
And here is what’s new in Preview 2 of Android M, according to Google:
The Developer Preview 2 update includes the up to date M release platform code, and near-final APIs for you to validate your app. To provide more testing support, we have refined the Nexus system images and emulator system images with the Android platform updates. In addition to platform updates, the system images also include Google Play services 7.6.
Download Android M MPZ79M Preview 2 for Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and Nexus 9
Here are the direct links to download Android M Developer Preview, build MPZ79M / MPZ79N for the Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player.
Download Android M MPZ79M for Nexus 5: hammerhead-MPZ79M-preview-b1f4bde4.tgz
Download Android M MPZ79M for Nexus 6: shamu-MPZ79M-preview-e1024040.tgz
Download Android M MPZ79M for Nexus 9: volantis-MPZ79M-preview-9f305342.tgz
Download Android M MPZ79N for Nexus Player: fugu-MPZ79N-preview-fb63af98.tgz