Huawei Mate 20, Mate 20 Pro, Mate 20 X and Mate 20 RS Porsche are all eligible to test and try out new EMUI 9.1 Beta update. Initially, Huawei debuted EMUI 9.1 with its recent P30 series release. Now, the brand is looking to release it for more devices. For changes, EMUI 9.1 beta brings in multiple new features & performance enhancements. Before going for a Beta version, it is advised to understand what beta means, briefly it means that you are ready to encounter bugs if possible report them too.
EMUI 9.1 Beta comes with an EROFS (Extendable Read-Only File System), GPU turbo 3.0 which reduces the SoC power consumption by 10%, Huawei Vlog with new features like making a video out of highlighted/selected pictures with different effect & filters, AR measure app which can measure length, area and volume accurately and a person’s height with the camera. All this and more can be tested on Mate 20 phones using this detailed guide.
EMUI 9.1 Beta Details
EMUI 9.1 is based on Android 9.0 Pie — same as existing stable firmwares. Further, this upgrade mostly carries proprietary features that are designed and developed by Huawei themselves rather than Google. Starting with performance, GPU Turbo 3.0 has been added to increase gaming performance on devices. There is also a new file-system for snappier day to day feel. UI has also been tweaked to give off a new aesthetic as well.
More features include OneHop sharing system between phone and computer, Phone clone which can help with the hassle of transferring data from older phones to newer ones just with a click. EMUI 9.1 is also getting a UI renovation which makes it look simple, clean, and smooth.
Learn more about the features of EMUI 9.1 here.
Huawei Mate 20, Mate 20 Pro, Mate 20 X, and Mate 20 RS Porsche are, right now, eligible to test out EMUI 9.1 Beta by signing up for it. The process is simple and easy but as it is a Beta version it is expected to come with few initial glitches.
Limitations / Requirements of EMUI 9.1 Beta
- The upgrade is only available for non-rooted devices which are running the stable version of EMUI 9.0.
- Once upgraded to EMUI 9.1 beta, it won’t be possible to downgrade back to the stable version.
- The upgrade requires 6GB of internal storage.
- Currently, Huawei Mate 20 series is only receiving the upgrade. Hopefully more phones would be granted support.
Install EMUI 9.1 on Huawei Mate 20 Series
- Visit this link and download the official Friendly User Test APK and install it. If you are having problems installing APK from unknown sources, you can read our guide: Install APK files Manually on Android.
- After installing, Start the App. The starting page will show terms and condition. On the bottom click on “AGREE AND LOGIN”
- If you have a Huawei ID then you can log in by entering your credentials. If not then you need to sign up first which can be done here.
- After log in select the “Personal” tab and click on “Join project”
- Move to available projects and select the available project with the name “HUAWEI [Phone Model] Beta project”
- You will receive the beta version upgrade notification automatically.
- Click the notification when received to upgrade the phone to EMUI 9.1 beta
Have you received EMUI 9.1 beta Update on your Huawei Mate 20 series? Tell us in the comments below and also let us know what you think about the new UI & features?