Xiaomi Mi 9 can be installed with stable TWRP custom recovery using the steps detailed in this article. Mi 9 is Xiaomi’s flagship phone which carries high-end hardware as well as design. As with any other Mi device, Mi 9 has been quite popular with developers. So much, there is a complete TWRP recovery available for it. Before you go ahead and implement the procedure, make sure to check out our bootloader unlock guide and also get fastboot / ADB configured on your computer as these will be required for the procedure ahead.
TWRP custom recovery is quite a versatile utility. It carries multiple features on its own such as system backup, partition wipe and more. Further, it also forms the foundation for installation of further mods such as custom ROMs, root and more. As with all our modification tutorials, we recommend you perform a complete backup of your data. The steps ahead have been tailored to work with Mi 9 only, don’t try it with any other device.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Install Android Q: How to Install Android Q on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
- Benefits of Rooting your phone: If you are planning to root your phone in the future, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Xiaomi Mi 9 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Download Xiaomi Mi 9 USB drivers!
HOW TO: Install TWRP Custom Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 9
Here is the complete and easy guide to install TWRP custom recovery on your Mi 9.
- Make sure the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, if it isn’t you can unlock the bootloader easily by following this guide.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings>About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options. Make sure that the USB Debugging is checked.
- Backup all the data as installing a custom recovery might delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Connect your Mi 9 to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.3.1-35-cepheus.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 4 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.