We recently covered how users can install TWRP custom recovery on standard Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 and now, with this guide, we will be explaining how to do the same on the Pro variant. Redmi series from Xiaomi signifies great hardware coupled with great software but at a competitive price. The most recent Note 8 Pro has seen a lot of success thanks to this philosophy. Further, developers have also started working on the device. So much so, we have a working TWRP custom recovery available for the phone which you can download and install by reading ahead.
Redmi Note 8 Pro has been upgraded to MIUI 11 from original MIUI 10 that it shipped with. While the software has been improved, their still are things which can’t be executed with root or a custom recovery. For example, with root, you would be able to run a system-wide ad blocker. And to gain root, you first need to have TWRP custom recovery running on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro. For our readers, we have broken down the complete TWRP custom recovery installation steps right ahead along with tips and tricks!
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Install Android 10: How to Install Android 10 Emulator on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
- Benefits of Rooting your phone: If you are planning to root your phone in the future, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Download Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro USB drivers!
Install Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro TWRP Custom Recovery
Here is the complete and easy guide to install TWRP custom recovery on your Redmi Note 8 Pro.
- Make sure the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, if it isn’t you can unlock the bootloader easily by following this guide.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings > About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings > Developer Options. Make sure that the USB Debugging is checked.
- Backup all the data as installing a custom recovery might delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Connect your Redmi Note 8 Pro to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.3.1-0-begonia_UNOFFICIAL_1811.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 4 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.