Instructions within this article let Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S owners install official TWRP custom recovery. Just recently, TeamWin added official support for Mi Mix 2S and now, a full fledged stable build is available for users to install. Seeing how official TWRP has been released, there should be a strong rise in custom ROMs and mods getting announced for the smartphone. Further, not only custom ROMs, users can now also utilize Magisk system-less root package to gain root and then further go on to install root apps. All in all, this is quite a major step towards third-party Android development for Mi Mix 2S. For a complete guide, along with download links, on installing TWRP custom recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S, continue ahead.
TWRP is a great utility on its own. On top of being the foundation for further modifications, TWRP offers extensive functionality that includes letting users format partitions, ability to use ADB when in recovery mode and also file management within the recovery itself. Not to mention, TWRP has a great backup tool as well. Speaking of backup, make sure to save all your data from Mi Mix 2S before beginning to implement our TWRP custom recovery installation guide.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Install Android Pie: How to Install Android 9.0 Pie on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
- Benefits of rooting your phone: If you are planning to root your phone in the future, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
HOW TO: Install TWRP 3.2.3 Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Here is the complete and easy guide to install TWRP custom recovery on your Mi Mix 2S.
- Make sure the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, if it isn’t you can unlock the bootloader easily by following this guide.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings>About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options. Make sure that the USB Debugging is checked.
- Backup all the data as installing a custom recovery might delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Connect your Mi Mix 2S to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.2.3-0-polaris.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 4 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.