In this guide, you’ll be able to root your Huawei Honor 5X easily. This guide is valid for Huawei Honor 5X running either Android 5.1 Lollipop or Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. Rooting the device gives you admin access.
You can install different custom ROMs after rooting the device. Plus you can do many more things like changing the interface, change how the signal bar or battery indicator looks like and installing custom themes. As you are going to root your phone in this tutorial, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
SuperSU Root Package Details:
SuperSU is one of our favourite rooting package as it comes with all the binaries needed to gain root access on your different Android phones. Not just this, the SuperSU app is much more robust and comes with better features than the previously popular SuperUser app.
Please note, this tutorial requires you to have TWRP custom recovery installed on your Huawei Honor 5X in order to be able to root your phone. If you do not have the custom recovery installed, we have a link to the tutorial given below.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Huawei Honor 5X, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei Honor 5X.
- TWRP Recovery: How to Update Huawei Honor 5X with TWRP Recovery.
- Try Nougat on Computer: How to Try and Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Computer – Complete Guide.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
Huawei Honor 5X USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
4. Your bootloader should be unlocked. See here: How to Unlock Bootloader of Huawei Honor 5X.
All set and ready? Good. You can now continue reading below and root Huawei Honor 5X running either Android 5.1 Lollipop or Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
How to Root Huawei Honor 5X with SuperSU
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to root Huawei Honor 5X with SuperSU. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This root method tutorial is only for Huawei Honor 5X. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of Huawei Honor 5X.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download SuperSU Root (SuperSU-beta.zip) to your computer.
Step 2 – Connect your Honor 5X to your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded SuperSU-beta.zip file to your internal storage. Make sure the file is in the internal storage root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Recovery Mode (TWRP Recovery). Switch ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons together. Alternatively, read this: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Any Android Phone.
NOTE: Screenshots of the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP Recovery) may change as new versions are released.