The most popular custom recovery made by TeamWin has now been updated to version number 3.1. TWRP 3.1.0 is the latest iteration of custom recovery which is now available for download. The new version brings in more features, fixes bugs and increases compatibility.
Some of the highlight changes of this release include the upgrade of AOSP source code from Android 7.0 Nougat to the newer Android 7.1 Nougat and better decryption and encryption algorithms. Furthermore, you can download the new TWRP 3.1.0 custom recovery immediately for compatible devices.
This release of TWRP custom recovery focuses more on functionality upgrades rather than design ones. All that has changed is a bit technical to understand but surely, these changes are there to help you have a more reliable TWRP custom recovery experience. For a more detailed change log of what’s new with TWRP 3.1.0 custom recovery, read below.
TWRP 3.1.0 Changelog:
- vold decrypt on a few select HTC devices, TWRP will now attempt to use the system partition’s vold and vdc binaries and libraries to decrypt the data partition (nkk71 and CaptainThrowback)
- adb backup to stream a backup directly to or from your PC, see documentation here (bigbiff)
- tweak MTP startup routines (mdmower)
- support new Android 7.x xattrs for backup and restore to fix loss of data after a restore (Dees_Troy)
- support POSIX file capabilities backup and restore to fix VoLTE on HTC devices and possibly other issues (Dees_Troy)
- better indicate to users that internal storage is not backed up (Dees_Troy)
- improve automatic determination of TW_THEME (mdmower)
- minimal getcap and setcap support (_that)
- try mounting both ext4 and f2fs during decrypt (jcadduono and Dees_Troy)
- shut off backlight with power key (mdmower)
- timeout during FDE decrypt (Dees_Troy and nkk71)
- support for FBE decrypt and backing up and restoring FBE policies (Dees_Troy)
- boot slot support (Dees_Troy)
- TWRP app install prompt during reboot (Dees_Troy)
- support for AB OTA zips (Dees_Troy)
- support new Android 7.x log command (Dees_Troy)
- update recovery sources to AOSP 7.1 (Dees_Troy)
Download TWRP 3.1.0 Recovery
You can install the latest TWRP release on your phone by flashing the official recovery image, or you can grab the official TWRP app from the Google Play Store to update:
Download TWRP – Google Play Store (root needed)