While Virtual Reality is still grabbing traction, Samsung is trying to act as a catalyst and provide this experience to as many users as possible. This is evident by the announcement of the New Gear VR at MWC 2017. We have had iterations of Gear VR alongside phone releases but this time around, there was a separate event for it. Again, showing how Samsung is interested in providing best VR experiences to its users. This new release of the Gear VR brings in a controller with itself. This controller will be used as an accompanying accessory to make the whole experience more easier for new users. Read further for technical details and compatibility of the new Samsung Galaxy VR.
The Gear VR is standardized with Oculus. This means, apps optimized for the Oculus VR program will work flawlessly with this headset. Also, the Oculus partnership has granted Samsung some insight on high-end applications of VR. Furthermore, the new Gear VR is set to be compatible with a number of devices rather than only one. You can enjoy Gear VR with Galaxy Note 5, S7, S7 Edge, S6, S6 Edge and S6 Edge+. Basically, if you have a recent Samsung flagship, this headset will work with it.
Gear VR: Technical Specifications
Below are the technical specifications for the Gear VR headset as well as the controller.
Gear VR Headset
- Dimension / Weight 207.8 x 122.5 x 98.6mm / 345g
- Optical Lens Φ42, FOV 101º x6.25
- Sensor Accelerometer, Gyrometer, Proximity
- Compatibility Galaxy S7, S7 edge, Note5, S6 edge+, S6, S6 edge
Gear VR Controller
- Dimension / Weight 108.1 x 48.1 x 38.2mm / 64.3g
- Control & Function Touchpad (Clickable), Trigger, Home Key, Back Key, Volume Key
- Sensor Accelerometer, Gyrometer, Magnetic
- Battery AAA Battery * 2ea (1000mAh, average 2 hours’ daily use will last for 40 days)
Gear VR: Features:
- Designed for a convenient one-hand control, the Samsung Gear VR’s new Controller offers better motion interaction with minimized head movement for comfortable use.
o Various Motion Input for a Better VR Experience – The Touchpad provides quicker selection and interaction in VR apps, enabling various forms of motion, including the ability to point, drag and drop, tilt, shoot, among other actions, while the Trigger allows for enhanced gaming experiences.
o Minimized Movement for enhanced user experience– The Home, Volume and Back keys located on the Controller give users everything they need in easy reach so that they can keep their focus on immersive content.
o A Secure Grip for Comfortable Play – Even during the most active movements, the Controller’s wrist strap offers a secure grip for comfortable and secure play.
- The updated Samsung Gear VR’s headset strap includes a holder for the Samsung Gear VR with Controller when not in use. Also, the Samsung Gear VR with Controller will support both micro USB and USB Type-C port with converter inbox.
- The Controller will connect via Bluetooth to compatible Samsung smartphones to work with previous versions of the Gear VR.
- For an expansive viewing experience, the Gear VR with Controller offers 42mm lenses with 101-degree FOV (Field of View) and advanced distortion correction technology to minimize motion sickness. The Samsung Gear VR with Controller will support both micro USB and USB Type-C port with a converter in-box. Additionally, the Gear VR will have a strap on the headset to hold the Controller when it is not in use.
- The latest edition of the Samsung Gear VR is compatible with the Galaxy S7, S7 edge, Note5, S6 edge+, S6 and S6 edge.