Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart can now be updated to Android 4.0.4 ICS custom firmware, which is a CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) based ROM. This firmware is not complete yet and has many things that do not work on this phone, but atleast you can get a taste of Android 4.0.4 ICS on your device. You can now install CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS on Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart. Your phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod recovery installed.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the process of how to install CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS custom firmware on Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart with complete steps in this tutorial. Backup all your data as given below since this tutorial will wipe your personal settings and apps. Let’s proceed with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
- 2D acceleration via copybit
- Telephony – calling, messaging, mobiledata
- Touchscreen – including OuNao’s fake dual-touch, configurable via madconfig
- Bluetooth & Bluetooth tethering
- Correct MAC addreses for BT & WiFi
- SD card & USB mass storage
- Compcache & swap – the latter available via madconfig, but disabled by default
- Good battery backup (needs more testing to be sure)
- Camera – partially works – can preview
Not working / todo:
- Bluetooth prevents deep sleep – do not leave enabled when you have no need to use it
- Video Recorder
- USB & Wifi Tethering – you may be able to use third-party replacements
- FM Radio – no CM9 radio app yet exists, but Spirit FM may work
- Video acceleration – video decoders will use software rendering, which uses more battery, and is too slow for HQ video playback.
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart to connect it with the computer. Download Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart to CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom firmware.
How to Install CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS on Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS on Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest, read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This CM9 tutorial is only for Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Make sure ClockworkMod Recovery is installed and your Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart is ROOTED.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the CM9 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to your SD card. Make sure the files are in the SD card root.
Step 5 – Now to get in the recovery mode. Switch on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Green Call Key + Power buttons.
Step 6 – Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 6 – In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 – Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 7 –Now using your volume keys, navigate to CM9 ROM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this step for the Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 8 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Huawei U8160 / Vodafone 858 Smart should now have CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!